Welcome to Gifted & Talented Services in 27J!
- Achieve Institute is a school within a school serving the needs the of gifted learners through all day programming.
- To enroll for the 2017 - 2018, complete the online application, which opens December 1, 2016 and close February 17, 2017. Applications are also found under the Achieve link.
- Early Access is a program for students that are highly gifted and would benefit from grade acceleration at the kindergarten or first grade level. This testing MUST be done in the district in which you reside.
- This is not a program for students that miss the kindergarten deadline. Rather, it is a program for students that are cognitively and academically beyond their peers. Please click on the "Is my child gifted?" link on the left for more information on giftedness.
- The application window is January 9, 2017 - March 17, 2017. Please click on the Early Access tab on the left for the application.
Gifted Programming Options Available in SD 27J
Self-Contained Gifted Classrooms
- Self-contained gifted classrooms are available at Pennock Elementary School through Achieve Institute. Please see the link to the left for Achieve Institute. This program opened in the Fall of 2016.
- Coming in the Fall of 2017, self-contained programming will be available at Vikan Middle School. This program will allow gifted students time with their cognitive peers during Science and Social Studies, their academic peers during Language Arts and Math, and the age-level peers during the electives.
School Wide Cluster Grouping Model
- Southeast Elementary School offers school-wide cluster grouping.
- This program clusters the GT students together in the class to assist with students having cognitive peers available in the classroom to enhance the learning.
- For open enrollment to this school please complete the district's open enrollment form and mark GT cluster grouping. These applications will only be accepted if room is available.
- Seventh and eighth grade clustering is available at Vikan Middle School.
- Differentiation is available in every building to meet the academic needs of GT students in the classroom.
- Identification of gifted and talented students in 27J is based on a consistent, fair and equitable process.
- All schools use a screening process with the Cognitive Abilities Test-7 in 2nd grade and 6th grade.
- Parents and teachers complete observation tools.
- Achievement data is reviewed.
- Typically, the gifted range on falls between the 95%ile and the 99%ile.
- Completed bodies of evidence will be reviewed and when students meet the requirements of multiple criteria, an Advanced Learning Plan(ALP) will be created.
- The Advanced Learning Plan will help inform and guide instruction to support student strength areas.
- The plans will be kept in a centralized location, reviewed annually, and will be passed through grade levels.
- For more information on identification, visit the Colorado Department of Education's website.